Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Idea-->Execution: Frida Kahlo

Sometimes my ideas don't turn out quite right and I can't figure out why. Take Frida Kahlo, for instance.
Some elements need to be way-simplified for felt, but as far as inspiration goes--you have a distinct look. This should, in theory, be an ornament that turns out well.

But it didn't.

The pattern I made looked okay. (Note: my patterns are a combination of freehand and tracing, depending on how I want to interpret a subject. Sometimes I do multiple images sort of mashed into a representation that I'm looking for--but this was meant to mimic a bit more.)


But somewhere in between the pattern and the execution...something just didn't translate.
It wasn't bad, per se, but there is something about it that is just...off. Which is very disheartening after spending quite a bit of time on that flower embroidery background.

I always have issues with eyes. Eyes are tough because they can go dead-eyed uncanny-valley very quickly. But this seemed more...hulking... than Frida. So I gave her a jaw shaving.
And it's kind of amazing the difference such a subtle change makes. I'm still getting a lot of shadow under the brows (because of the way the light falls), but it's a totally different looking Frida. And, perhaps, it's a less accurate Frida (the original picture has that very rounded off--nearly square-to-round jawline, this is slightly more heart-shaped).

Sometimes you have to exaggerate or suggest some features in this medium (like the lips are merely represented by stitch, otherwise everyone looks like they have pouty-duck-lips).

Before:
After:


I had similar problems getting things right with Hillary Clinton and Julia Child.
And let me tell you, it's gutsy to cut into an already-assembled project. One must have the courage of their convictions.



No comments:

Post a Comment