Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Techniques: Eyes, Part 2

Tina's eyes are...not ideal. I mean, not her. Her felt representation.

As I mentioned in a previous post, eyes have been difficult for me. The best technique I came up with was to cut out an eye hole, carefully cut out an iris (which is hard, because it's tiny), glue the iris in, and then stuff little fluffy bits of spare white felt in to fill the whites of the eyes.

This technique tended to work better on brown or tan felt "skin" than on cream "skin".
It looks pretty good on Neil deGrasse Tyson, for instance. 

I decided to take a bit of a risk and try something different. Behold, the technique of stitching the top part of the eye and then making a french knot for the eye itself:
Wellstone!

Elizabeth Cady Stanton and Susan B. Anthony
What I get is a greater amount of eye precision (though French knots can be tricky if your thread decides to get weirdly bumpy or oddly shaped in your knot) without looking like it's too raised up from the page (causing a pop-eye).

This didn't really work when I stitched the lower part of the eye:
Bob Ross looks...kind of creepy this way.
I'm wondering if I should re-do my patterns with this instruction (or maybe just an alternate method description). It will likely, however, get too confusing. So I should just commit to one method or the other.

No comments:

Post a Comment